If you want to be more efficient at your job, it can seem like there are a million things to do.
But really, it’s just about being organized and staying on top of everything from the beginning.
If you want to get more done in less time without sacrificing quality, here are some tips:
Learn to touch type
First, learn how to touch type. This can seem like a daunting task, but it’s well worth the effort because it makes you more efficient at work.
You’ll be able to type faster and waste less time looking at the keyboard or the screen, which means you’ll be able to get more done in less time.
Here are some tips on how to do so:
- Try using an online typing program or app that teaches you how to use your computer’s keyboard while teaching proper typing techniques.
- Use shortcuts as much as possible when writing documents (for example: ‘CTRL + C’ for copy), sending emails (for example: ‘ALT + INSERT’), opening files (for example: ‘ALT + F’), etc. If possible, try integrating these shortcuts into your workflow so that they become second nature over time.
Use online tools like a PDF editor
It has all the basic editing options, such as adding text, images, and other content.
You can also add comments to your document so that it’s easier for other people to understand what you’ve written.
Keep a clean desk
If possible, try to keep only the things necessary at hand so that there isn’t any unnecessary clutter. This will allow for easier access when it’s time for another task requiring these materials again.
There are two reasons why you should keep your workspace clean:
- First, having a well-organized environment can help you focus on what’s important, which means you’ll be more efficient in your work.
- Second, when others visit your office or cubicle to talk with you about something related to work, they’ll feel welcome if it’s neat and tidy. They won’t think that the clutter around them is representative of how disorganized you are as an employee or person overall.
Use a second monitor
A second monitor is a must-have for any office worker. If you feel like your productivity is lacking, this is the first step you should take.
- A second monitor will help you stay focused and in the zone, even if it’s only for a few minutes at a time.
- Having two monitors allows you to have large text on one screen while still being able to interact with other content without having to keep switching back and forth between different apps.
Batch your meetings
Once you’ve learned to manage your time, you’ll want to get better at managing other people’s time.
Meetings are expensive, not just in terms of the cost of the meeting space but also because they’re a waste of resources and energy.
People who are interrupted by meetings often lose focus on what they were doing before their attention was drawn away by something else. This is why so many people have trouble keeping up with their inboxes. They get distracted whenever someone sends them an email that requires immediate attention.