The 12-step program started as a way to treat alcohol addicts in the 1930s. It was a complete guide for the alcohol addicted person to get back on the right track and take charge of their life again. Due to the success of the 12-step program for alcohol by the Alcohol Anonymous, over the course of nine decades, there have been countless 12-step programs for each kind of drug. There is a 12-step program for cocaine addiction, there is a 12-step program for heroin addiction, and so on. Every type of addiction has a 12-step program now to help the patients recover in the light of a higher being, to let go of all the pressure that you are feeling and let the god take care of all the things that are worrying you in your rehab treatment program.
The 12-step program takes away the need for a patient for a human support, not to say that human support such as family support, the support of the fellow patients, the support of the medical staff and counselors is not important nether does it negate it but often times the patients feel like everything that is being done to them can help them despite the 100 percent effort of all the parties that are mentioned beforehand and that is not wrong and for such a reason, the 12-step program was introduced so that during these tough and hard times, the patients can feel like there will be a higher being with them no matter what the situation. That they can trust this higher being with their life which can give them a sense of calmness and confidence.
The 12-step program explained step-by-step.
The steps in the 12-step program are the following:
- Being honest. When the drug addict has been denying their addiction and the balance of powers that the addiction has over the patient, then it will never give a situation where the addiction can be healed for the patient. You have to be honest and accept once and for all that you had no power over your addiction and this addiction affected your life in ways that you never imagined.
- Having faith. In order for the higher being to start helping you in the process, you must have to administer the faith inside your mind that this higher power can do that.
- Let yourself go. Give yourself to the higher power, become vulnerable and let yourself swim in the ocean of trust for God that He will be there through it all.
- Do soul-searching. You have to sit down and take a deep breath in order to look inside your soul to see if you have done wrong to people.
- Practice integrity. This step allows the patient to grow by admitting that they have done wrong in the past.
- Accept the shortcomings. You will have to accept that you have defects in your character and you must fully let them go.
- Having humility. This step requires the patient to have humility and let the higher being do things for you that you cannot do.
- Ask for forgiveness. This step asks the patient to ask for forgiveness from all the people that you have hurt.
- Make amends. Fix all the problems that you have had with people so they stay in your life.
- Admit that you were wrong. When you have done wrong, admit it and ask for forgiveness instantly.
- Make a deep connection. Find what you are here for, and find what you can do for the world, look outside of yourself to find a purpose in the name of the Lord.
- Give people back. Be generous and give people back in loving ways through charity and also by teaching them the 12-step program.
These are the 12 steps of the popular 12-steps program. If you are about to start rehab or are in rehab or have gotten out of rehab, then this program is a must, to get started, check this website.