More than 4.5 million dog bites are reported in the US every year. Getting bitten by a dog could be a traumatic experience. Although known as man’s best friend, dogs are capable of causing serious injuries. Puncture wounds can trigger awful pain. Some people even deal with PTSD and anxiety after a dog bite. This is a type of personal injury. If the neighbor’s dog has bitten you in Huntington Beach, you could file a lawsuit seeking compensation for your injuries. California is a fault state, so the dog owner is liable for your losses, including medical bills. To win a fair settlement, consider contacting one of the injury attorneys Huntington Beach. For your help, below are some of the key steps you need to follow after the incident.
1. Immediate after, stay calm. If the dog is aggressive, you have to maintain your calm after the attack. Wait for the animal to get into the submissive zone, which should happen within a few minutes. Don’t panic, or the situation may become worse.
2. Call 911. Depending on how serious the injury is, call 911. Don’t be fooled to assume that the bite isn’t a serious one. Dogs can spread rabies, and if you don’t take the necessary steps for the wound, you could develop an infection at the site of the dog bite.
3. If you are okay, note down the key details. Were there witnesses to the accident? Where did the accident happen? Who owns the dog? Do you have the contact details of the dog owner? It is common for people to forget things after a personal injury, and it is best to note down everything on paper.
4. Take pictures. If you can, take pictures of the animal that has bitten you, along with images of your injuries. This evidence will come in handy when you file a personal injury lawsuit against the owner.
5. Report the incident. You can inform the local police or animal control about the incident. California laws make it mandatory to report all dog bites, even when injuries are not severe. You should also inform the health department.
Contact a lawyer
Like we mentioned earlier, hiring an attorney could help you recover compensation for your injuries caused by a dog bite. Although rare, it is possible to recover punitive damages in some cases. Most law firms will be happy to offer a free case evaluation, which can help you understand the worth of your claim.
You should visit this site: ikgrand
Visit this site: magazine999